Monday, October 9, 2017

WOO WOO MOMENT

18" x 24"
Mixed media illustration on Canson watercolor paper

" I'm in Portland, Oregon. I've made an appointment with a woman that I've been told is a gifted healer. I show up at her door and I am not prepared for the five foot five two hundred pound woman in a pixie haircut with a hot dog in one hand and a quart of Pepsi in the other.

Without speaking she says to me "Okay honey, just lay there on the table."

So I lay on the table. She's poking on me and she said "You think I'm fat, don't you honey?" And I say " No, Karen, you're big boned, you're not fat."

She said "I don't normally do this, but I'm actually going to show you what I look like. I'm also going to show you what to paint."

I sat up. I put my hands on her shoulders. I looked into her face that goes out of focus and blurs and reforms itself into June Upton, the first woman that I ever loved in the 5th grade. Her face then reformed into every single woman I've ever loved. At the end of it she winked at me and said "You know, honey, paint that!"



Story by Marshall Arisman - A Postcard From Lilydale

No comments:

Post a Comment