Wednesday, October 4, 2017

BOOK ILLUSTRATION

11" x 14"
Ink in ProArt sketchbook

"You can't laugh at a gun. I had a gun put to my head in a bar, over the Pueblo incident.  A cop.  I got a load on and argued with these guys about shit in Vietnam.  I said, "Saigon's got a million-dollar police station and my brother's got a station a hundred years old.  Where's the money come from?  The cops and firemen are paying taxes and they're not fixin' up their stations."  This guy, Jim, who's a city cop for twenty-four years, is everything you want a cop to be.  When I was eighteen he was thirty eight, he was a supercop.  But the hate just fucked him up, and the war.

I was in the bar and Jim had his load on, too.  He's got personal problems, he's married twice,, divorced.  He said, "We should invade Korea, bomb it."  I said, "You're ready to drop a bomb on a country with civilians."  He said, "Ah, you fuckin' commie." So I turn my back. I feel this thing on my temple, he had a gun to my head.  Two guys next to me dived for the ground.  With my left hand I come toward his wrist.  The gun went to the ground and I grabbed him in a headlock.  Three other cops in civilian clothes broke it up.  You gotta watch that gun."  - Tom Gates quote in WORKING by Studs Terkel

No comments:

Post a Comment