Monday, May 4, 2015

THE VALUES: LIGHT, HALFTONE AND SHADOW USING FABER-CASTELL PITT BIG BRUSH PENS

I take a piece of paper and make a chart using the brush pens that I'm going to use.  Black (which I'll use for smaller areas of shadow).  For the large mass of shadow I'll use Speedball super black India ink applied with a watercolor brush.  The top row left to right is Cool grey VI, IV, III and I.  The bottom row is Warm grey V, IV, III, I.  For white I may use the Faber Castell Pitt white or sometimes a China white marker.

I always keep a large piece of bristol paper underneath or to the side of my drawings to test out the markers or to combine markers to see what value is produced.

The six kinds of value are:

 Light - The areas that lie most nearly the right angle to the main light source.
Halftone - Area not squarely facing the main light source as it tilts
Shadow - When a plane turns completely away so that no mail light is on it.
Reflected light - Light that bounces back into the shadow
Cast shadow - A light intercepted by a form which then projects the effect onto another plane.
Highlight - A shiny or reflective surface reflecting back the original light source.

Value:  The position of the color on the above chart

No comments:

Post a Comment