Monday, June 2, 2014

HEIDI LIKAR ARTIST CLOSE UP

This is the photograph of Heidi Likar that I worked from.  I decided early on that I would leave out the camera strap around her shoulders.  If it was important to her I could always add it in later.  I mentioned this in yesterday's post and I want to be more emphatic about it today...when working from a photograph it is important to use Picasa 3 program or any program that allows you to view the photo zoomed in.  You can really see all the little changes in color on an object as the light travels around it then.

I start with the eyes:
 I only adjust the colors if they are too outrageous but I still want to have an exciting colorful look.  The color of her eyeglasses really throw a lot of purple and purple variations out there and that works to bring attention to the eyes.  In this photo Heidi has a strong penetrating gaze. To me that is what makes this pose powerful. As I study the shapes I apply the colors I see.  I sometimes just use my finger to wipe a color that is too strong. I work across to the other side and downward.  It is usually very normal when I paint to loose the likeness of the subject.  It is very important not to get panicky at that point.  What is actually happening is that you are unable to sustain such focused concentration.  I usually just take a break and come back to it.
 Below is the finished drawing. 9" x 12" on watercolor paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment