Sunday, May 25, 2014

TOMMY KANE'S HAT

This was done on Canson Comic art board 11" x 17" using Uniball vision fine pen, Pitt big brush pens and Schmincke water colors.  Since I get asked about what tools I use I'll talk about them a bit.  I love the Uniball vision fine point pen.  It is water proof and fade proof.  That is a must feature since I use watercolor right over the top of the ink.  It can blob but I don't care.  If it does I just work with it and incorporate it into the work.  It rolls on smoothly and it feels so good in my hand.  It has a clip on the cap so I can put it securely in my shirt pocket.  They are cheap.  I buy them by the dozen.

As for the Faber-Castell PITT artist brush pens, well, they are one of the greatest inventions in the drawing world.  They have great colors, they last a long time, and MOST importantly, they DO NOT SMELL.  As an added bonus, they are waterproof and will not bleed through the paper and show on the other side.

Schmincke watercolors...I buy the travel pan.  18 full.  Yes, they are expensive but I'm worth it.  I like to lay the color down thick, even with watercolors, and this product is very juicy.  The colors are brilliant.  They last a long time and I can also use them with other brands when putting on layers.  I also like Sakura's Koi travel kit and the Winsor-Newton Cottman watercolors (professional grade).

Tommy Kane, great artist and teacher, is a hat guy (like me).  His wife Yun told me that he gets them made by Barbara Feinman in New York http://www.barbarafeinmanmillinery.com/shop/.  I think there should be special "KANE" editions.  The squirrel is Tommy's logo (he was a squirrel in a previous life, apparently).  That is a mushroom the squirrel is sitting on.  And no, I don't.   

No comments:

Post a Comment